Not long back did we publish a tutorial that helped you install Jelly Bean on Sony Xperia X10 Mini and now this tutorial is for Xperia X8 users. It is good to know that X8 configuration is good enough to run Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on it which has been brought to you by Daveee10 at XDA forums. This ROM is a custom ROM that has been built using CyanogenMod 10 sources.
This ROM is not fully completed and needs some updates which will be rolled out frequently. To get the latest updates on what is working and what is not working in this ROM, you can refer the original thread, the link to which is present in the installation instructions.
To flash this custom ROM, you must have rooted your device and installed custom recovery. You also need to unlock the bootloader of your device to flash the custom kernel.
As already mentioned, this is a custom ROM and flashing this without wiping data may land you into low memory issues or force close of apps. It is therefore recommended that you wipe data before you install this ROM. You can back up all data on your phone by following the instructions present in the Prerequisites section.
- Build from latest CM Source Code
- Trebuchet launcher
- CyanogenMod Features
- Power Widget Toggles on Notification Bar (Can be disabled)
- Performance Settings
- Fixed grey gradient background
- Fast and Smooth like “Butter”
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Procedure to Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Sony Xperia X8
- Download the ROM zip file from the original thread.
- Connect your phone to the SD card and copy the ROM zip file from the Computer to your SD card, preferably in the root folder and not within any folder deep inside.
- Extract the boot.img file from the downloaded ROM and place it in the folder where you have adb and fastboot files. If you don’t have them, learn how to execute adb and fastboot commands.
- Boot your phone in fastboot mode and connect it to PC. Open Command prompt in the folder where you have the adb and fastboot files (and also the boot,img file) and issue the command “fastboot flash boot boot.img” (without quotes). The kernel is flashed.
- After flashing the kernel, turn off your phone and boot it into recovery mode You can use the command adb reboot recovery to reboot into recovery mode or perhaps try some button combinations.
- In recovery mode, wipe all data, cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to “install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
- To get Market and other Google apps working, you can flash Gooogle Apps zip file which can be obtained from goo.im/gapps
This procedure will install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Sony Xperia X8. In case you face any issues, you may refer the original thread or post a comment below
Latest posts by Lalit Indoria (see all)
- [APK DOWNLOAD] Google Play Store 4.5.10 With IAP Indicator, Activity Sharing & More - December 6, 2013
- [DOWNLOAD] Android 4.4.1 OTA Update Rolling Out to Nexus Devices - December 6, 2013
- [DOWNLOAD] Official CyanogenMod 11 M1 Rolling Out To Nexus Devices Today - December 6, 2013