The incredibly popular Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) has been the go-to custom recovery for Android enthusiasts looking to modify the software on their device. Lets take a look at what version 3.1.0 has to offer:
Apart from bug fixes, version 3.1.0 features ADB Backup which allows users to back up files directly to a PC. This update also brings support for flashing Alpha/Beta OTA update Zips via the recovery. As of now, this feature is only useful for Google Pixel/Pixel XL users however, as more device begin shipping with Android 7.1 and the A/B partition scheme, a lot more users will be able to take advantage of this. This update brings better support for decrypting the data partition on some phones which should appeal HTC device owners.
TWRP will no longer wipe data of certain applications that are set up for the Direct Boot feature, something that users noticed while trying to back up and restore their favorite messaging apps only to find that their messages were missing. The final thing to point out is the fact that TWRP will now ask you to install the official app before rebooting. The request can be permanently disabled by declining. The app users to keep TWRP up to date.
v 3.1.0 Change-log
- vold decrypt on a few select HTC devices, TWRP will now attempt to use the system partition’s vold and vdc binaries and libraries to decrypt the data partition
- adb backup to stream a backup directly to or from your PC, see documentation here.
- tweak MTP startup routines (mdmower)
- support new Android 7.x xattrs for backup and restore to fix loss of data after a restore (Dees_Troy)
- support POSIX file capabilities backup and restore to fix VoLTE on HTC devices and possibly other issues (Dees_Troy)
- better indicate to users that internal storage is not backed up (Dees_Troy)
- improve automatic determination of TW_THEME (mdmower)
- minimal getcap and setcap support (_that)
- try mounting both ext4 and f2fs during decrypt (jcadduono and Dees_Troy)
- shut off backlight with power key (mdmower)
- timeout during FDE decrypt (Dees_Troy and nkk71)
- support for FBE decrypt and backing up and restoring FBE policies (Dees_Troy)
- boot slot support (Dees_Troy)
- TWRP app install prompt during reboot (Dees_Troy)
- support for AB OTA zips (Dees_Troy)
- support new Android 7.x log command (Dees_Troy)
- update recovery sources to AOSP 7.1 (Dees_Troy)
- numerous bugfixes and improvements by too many people to mention
via: XDA Developers