Unbrick/Flash Stock ROM on Samsung Galaxy Y S5360
Samsung Galaxy Y is a low-end and a very popular smartphone from Samsung. Since it runs on Android, you would like to play around with the device by rooting it and installing custom ROMs. But as you know, rooting and installing custom ROMs on any Android device is risky and it also voids your warranty. Unfortunately, you need to pay someone to get your phone working. But before you go out to a service center, let me tell you how to unbrick your Samsung Galaxy Y. The only method you can do that is by flashing the stock ROM on Samsung Galaxy Y. This method will work only on Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 but I am not sure if it would work on Samsung Galaxy Y Duos or not. Don’t worry, I won’t charge a penny to do this but I would really appreciate some good comments on this post
Install Stock ROM via Recovery
Samsung Galaxy Y comes with Stock recovery which can be used to flash ROMs or wipe data. To boot into recovery mode you need to press and hold Home Button + Volume Up Button + Power button together. If you can boot into recovery mode, you should first try to Wipe data, cache and dalvik cache and then reboot. If it still does not work, you can perhaps find someone who can send you a nandroid backup of his Samsung Galaxy Y. The best place to find buddies with same phones is XDA Forums. Place the folder you receive from the other person in your SD card in the location /sdcard/nandroid This is the location where backups are stored. If you have Clockworkmod Recovery, the location would be /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup
After you place the folder in one of the above mentioned locations, boot into recovery again and you will be able to find the folder when you select the option to restore backup in recovery. Also, all the data that your friend had on his Galaxy Y would be present in your phone. In this way you will be able to restore the stock ROM.
If you can not get a nandroid backup of a stock ROM, you can also try to get a nandroid backup of a custom ROM. Both would work well
Flash Stock ROM via Odin
Odin is a tool used to flash ROMs on Samsung phones and can also be used to flash Stock ROM on Samsung Galaxy Y.
- Download Stock ROM for Samsung Galaxy Y based on the regions from here.
- Extract the files to a separate folder in your PC.
- You must have KIES or Samsung Drivers installed on your PC.
- Download Odin.
- Stop KIES. If you have any other ADB session going on, please stop it as it might be an interference. ADB is Android Debug Bridge. If you don’t know anything about ADB, you wouldn’t have it running on your PC and you can skip this step.
- Boot your phone into download mode. To do this, re-insert batttery and press Volume Up + Power + Home button together. When (about 5 sec) Warning screen appears, release Volume Down and Power, then (a bit later) Home. After this, press Volume Up button and you will enter into download mode.
- Start Odin and connect your phone to the PC. The ID:Com section in Odin should turn yellow. If not, you need to check your drivers.
- In Odin, click on PDA and browse the files you downloaded in Step 1. In the PDA section, select the file whose name has “PDA” in it. Click on Phone and select the file whose name has either PHONE or MODEM in it. Click on CSC and select the file whose name has CSC in it.
- Leave PIT and BOOT empty.
- Click on Start button.
- Flashing will be done in few minutes and you will see “PASS” written in Odin on a green background.
- If you are stuck on the boot animation, boot into recovery and wipe data, cache and dalvik cache as mentioned above.
Did this help you save your phone? Let me know in the comments