HTC Aria, a device that we have forgotten in the list of updates on this blog has received an unofficial port of CyanogenMod 10. This ROM is not from the CyanogenMod team and everything that worked on CyanogenMod 9 also works on this ROM. In this tutorial we will tell you how to install CyanogenMod 10 Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM on HTC Aria.
Since this is an unofficial ROM, it may have some bugs. To see what works and what doesn’t, you may refer the original thread, the link to which is present in the installation instructions.
As of now, the following features do not work:
– A few graphical glitches – most noticeable in the camera app, it goes crazy sometimes (but still takes pictures & panorama fine)
– Camcorder doesn’t work
– Data usage meter doesn’t work
– Headset/headphones already plugged in will not be detected on boot
– USB tethering doesn’t work
Old bugs (that existed in CM9):
– Backlight for navigation buttons won’t turn on sometimes (it seems to work fine on auto brightness though)
– Hardware video decoder doesn’t work
– Panorama is slow
– Built-in voice recognition doesn’t work (see Tips & Tricks for workaround)
More screenshots can be found here.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps. You can restore data of apps after rooting your phone.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
- Make sure your phone is not locked to any network.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process will void the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install CM10 Jelly Bean ROM on HTC Aria
- Download the ROM zip file and Gapps zip file from the original thread.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB Cable and copy the downloaded zip file to your SD card.
- Boot your phone into recovery mode. You can use Quick Boot (Reboot) App for this.
- Make a nandroid backup from the recovery mode. You can also make an online nandroid backup without booting into recovery mode.
- Once you are in the recovery mode, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Now, navigate through the interface choose “select zip from SD card” and select the zip file which you copied to your SD card in Step 2.
- Flash it in the next screen.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
- If you are stuck in the boot animation, wipe cache from recovery mode.
Your HTC Aria must now be running Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below and we will be happy to help you!