You must be knowing that Google has announced their latest version of Android after Ice Cream Sandwich which is Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Who wouldn’t like to have their Android device updated to the latest Android firmware? You shouldn’t be using the old one when you have a lot of improvements in the new version. As expected, after Nexus 7, it is Samsung Galaxy Nexus that can be updated to the Jelly Bean Stock JRN84D firmware. In this post we will let you know how to update your Galaxy Nexus with the Stock Jelly Bean firmware along with some screen captures which will lure you to update your phone. We will list out some Prerequisites which you can follow to back up data on your phone after which you can proceed with the updating procedure. This ROM is flashable via ClockworkMod Recovery and can be flashed over Ice Cream Sandwich running on your phone.
Screen Captures of Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus
Backup Data & Prerequisites
The few points listed below will help you backup your data on Samsung Galaxy Nexus. You need to wipe data to update your firmware and hence it is always a good idea to backup before you proceed with any updating activity on your device.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Make sure you have the recommended drivers installed.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Steps to Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy Nexus
- The first step is to download the zip file to be flashed via recovery which can be downloaded from here. If you want a torrent file, you can click here. To root the firmware, download this.
- Place the downloaded files into your SD card, preferably the root of your SD card.
- Boot your phone into recovery mode. To do this:
Turn off your phone.
Press and hold the Power button and both Volume buttons at the same time.
Using the Volume Keys, navigate and select the Recovery mode by pressing the Power button.
- In the recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe cache partition.
- Go back and select the “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the firmware zip file.
- Confirm it in the next step and flash it.
- To root your firmware, flash the zip for rooting.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
So now you have updated your Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean JRN84D firmware. For issues and updates, please refer the original thread.