Yes, there are a lot of devices getting Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update via custom ROMs but there hasn’t been any yet for the HTC Evo 4G. This was true until now as XDA Senior Member jmztaylor has worked hard to make CyanogenMod 10 work on HTC Evo 4G. This ROM will run on Google’s latest version of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This post is a tutorial to help you install CyanogenMod 10 on HTC Evo 4G. Make sure you backup all data and install this custom ROM as this requires a full wipe to prevent force close issues.
Before you proceed with the steps to install Jelly Bean on HTC Evo 4G, make sure you have unlocked the bootloader of your phone via HTCDev.com, rooted your phone and installed ClockworkMod Recovery on it. Luckily you don’t need Android SDK installed as in HTC One X to flash the boot.img and this ROM can be installed via the recovery mode.
This ROM is currently in the development stage and there are a few things that do not work in this ROM. To check out what is working and what is not working, you can head over to the original thread and also download the ROM zip file and Gapps zip file from the same thread.
Since this ROM requires a data wipe in recovery mode, we suggest you to backup data on your phone.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
- While in recovery mode, do not forget to make a nandroid backup.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install Jelly Bean on HTC Evo 4G
- I assume that you have downloaded the ROM and Gapps zip file from the original thread as mentioned above.
- Connect your phone to the Computer and copy the downloaded zip files to your SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from the PC and turn it off.
- Boot your device into bootloader mode. To do this, press and hold the Volume up button + Home button and simultaneously, press the Power button.
- Once your device boots up in the bootloader mode, select the option “Recovery” using the Power button and navigate using the Volume buttons.
- In recovery mode, wipe data, cache and dalvik cache.
- Now select “install zip from SD card’>”Chooze zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file that you had copied to your SD card in Step 2.
- Repeat the above step to flash Gapps zip file.
- Go back and select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
This procedure will install Jelly Bean on HTC Evo 4G. To verify the same, you can go to Settings menu and check the firmware version. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below and we will be happy to help you 🙂